What do you need for marbling paper?
You will need:
- Lots of old newspaper to protect your table.
- A large tray with deep sides (we used a foil roasting tin)
- A large jug of cold water.
- Some marbling paint or marbling ink in different colours (you can buy this in craft shops)
- Pieces of paper or card (small enough to fit in the tray)
- A pencil.
How is marbled paper made?
Paper marbling is a method of aqueous surface design, which can produce patterns similar to smooth marble or other kinds of stone. The patterns are the result of color floated on either plain water or a viscous solution known as size, and then carefully transferred to an absorbent surface, such as paper or fabric.
What kind of paint do you use for paper marbling?
How to do Paper Marbling with Acrylic Paint and Liquid Starch
- Acrylic paint (either liquid craft acrylic paint OR regular thick acrylic paint that you thin with an equal amount of water)
- Liquid starch (find in the laundry section of the store OR buy online)
- Thick paper, such as watercolor paper or card stock.
Does acrylic paint float on water?
Squirt a drop of acrylic paint onto the tip of a skewer. Touch the water surface with the skewer tip so the paint transfers to the surface of the water. It should float.
What is the best paper for marbling?
When you’re looking for a paper to marble, it should generally be an absorbent, lightly sized, uncoated stock. This may be a drawing, printmaking, or sketch paper. I’ve found that alpha cellulose, cotton, and recycled fibers tend to work well because they are absorbent but have decent wet strength.
Can you water marble with acrylic paint?
First, start by slightly watering down your paint. Add equal parts water to your acrylic paint and mix with a wooden skewer. Slowly drip the paint into your liquid starch mixture.
Can you make marbling ink?
Things You’ll Need Save money by making your own mableizing ink. Beautiful hand-marbleized paper is often used in bookmaking or other paper crafts. The marbling pigments sold by most arts-and-crafts suppliers can be quite expensive and are not always readily available.